• question-icon

How can long QT syndrome be diagnosed?

Posted on Tue, 18 Jul 2017 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Hello!

I find that very many of my symptoms are similar to those who have long qt syndrome. I read on the net that it may be hard to diagnose- so my questiuon is this:
Can they find out if I have this, With ecg, stress ecg and ultrasound that i've done?

PS. My daughter also have same symptoms that I have, so that increases my suspicions.

Oh, and I also have these weird jolts. Which I asked about on here before. I understand that epilepsia can be misdiagnosed too, in fact it can be long qt.
I tried to explain these "jolts" originates in the chest, so perhaps this might be long qt??
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
I would explain as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome back on HCM!

Regarding your concern, I would explain that long QT syndrome can be diagnosed with a resting ECG.

As all your performed tests have resulted normal, it means that this diagnosis has been excluded.

Anyway, I would recommend performing an ambulatory 24-48 hours ECG monitoring (Holter) in order to examine your heart rhythm trends,even during those jolts and exclude possible cardiac arrhythmia.

Regarding epilepsy and cardiac arrhythmia, I would explain that these two disorders can be distinguished by performing a 24 hours EEG with ECG leads. This test can register the brain electrical activity and the heart rhythm and distinguish between a seizure and cardiac arrhythmia.

You should discuss with your doctor on the above tests.

Hope to have been helpful!

If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask me again.

Kind regards,

Dr.Iliri
Follow up: Dr. Ilir Sharka 14 minutes later
As always, Dr. Sjharka. You are awesome. I am sorry to bother you With all these questions, but the search goes on until I find answers. You are extremely helpfull. You dont understand how helpfull it is to get profesional answers almost immediately.
So yiou can not have long qt time just when having episodes, or at times, it will show up on a ecg if you have them?

Thank yoyu sir.
Brief Answer:
My opinion as following:

Detailed Answer:
Hello again!

I am glad that you find my answers helpful!

Yes, prolonged QT syndrome can be diagnosed with a resting ECG or a Holter monitoring.

You should discuss with your doctor on these tests.

I remain at your disposal whenever you have any other questions!

Wishing good health,

Dr.Iliri
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Ilir Sharka 33 minutes later
I was unclear in the last question, sorry:
WILL a qt syndrome be diagnosed by resting ecg or holter?

Or do you have to have an "episode" for it to show, like for example ectopics which are hard to "Catch".
Brief Answer:
My answer as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello again!

Let me explain as follows:

This syndrome usually is detected with a resting ECG. The prolonged QT interval in the ECG could be persistent (when it is since birth), or could be related to certain drugs, which can prolong QT interval in susceptible persons.

In such case these ECG findings persist for some days or weeks (during the occurrence of the symptomatology or complaints) and can be detected even with a resting ECG.

Cardiac arrhythmia can also occur, considering the fact that prolonged QT interval can lead to increased risk for cardiac arrhythmia. In such case the arrhythmia is usually detected in the Holter monitoring, while the prolonged QT interval can be viewed in a simple resting ECG.

Hope to have clarified some of your uncertainties!

Let me know about everything!

Dr. Iliri
Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist