Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
163 Doctors are Online

How can linitis plastica be treated?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 1462 Questions
My sister age 44 is diagnose linitis plastica she is never been ill before. She has two children. She doesn't feel sick at all, the only thing she has is that she cannot drink when she eat because she get a full stomage. No stomage pain or weith loss.
My other sister died 12 years (age 36) from this same cancer linitis plastica

I am looking for the best specialist for these cancer for his opinion for treatment. I know that in Japan there is much more information about this type of cancer
Posted Thu, 12 Apr 2012 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 11 hours later

I am sorry to hear about your sisters. Most probably there is a familial syndrome going on.

As for her treatment, we should have the baseline tests done like CT scan or PET scans, biopsy and blood tests. If it is a localized disease, then best bet is radical gastrectomy and adjuvant chemoradiation if necessary. If it is inoperable, then chemotherapy followed by surgery may be feasible.

I understand that you are in Netherlands and Europe you find good Onco Surgeons. I dont think you should move to Japan.

Best wishes.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: How can linitis plastica be treated? 2 hours later
Thank you for the answer but the most important question is to find a doctor that has much experience with this cancer. I dont know if you have this experience. Like I told before I want to concact a specialist to I can get a second opinion, advice and so on..

Because in the Netherlands this form of cancer is very unknown I want to find a specialist who has treated this cancer

Please help us
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 1 hour later

Good to hear from you again.

You can consult Dr XXXXXXX van Cutsem, who is currently Professor of XXXXXXX Medicine at the University of Leuven (Belgium). He is responsible for the division of Digestive Oncology at the University Hospital Gasthuisberg.

Though he is a medical oncologist, he is a world-renowned figure in gastric cancer. He will be pleased to guide you and suggest a surgeon from his team.

Hope this answers your query.

Wish your sister a good health.


Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Oncologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor