• question-icon

How can lateral epicondylitis be treated?

Posted on Fri, 14 Jul 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: About 7 years ago, I was diagnosed with tennis elbow. My dr told me to get a brace--a band that I wear above my right elbow. It usually works to ease the pain within a few week. The past couple of months however have presented a different story. Neither the band nor simple stretching of my forearm have resolved the pain. Is there anything else I can try?
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
nsaids, steroid injections, physio

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Tennis elbow is the most common overuse syndrome.

The counterforce brace maybe the brace that you are using in the area.

Though this can be effective, other treatment consists of: (1)the use of NSAIDs eg voltaren, naproxen, ibuprofen. These can provide some relief though it can be minor in some persons

(2)structured physiotherapy program and steroid injection into the area.
Since there has been no effect with the brace, then you may need to consider these options

(3)there new treatment options on the market such as hyaluronate injections into the area. A recent study showed that this may be helpful

(4)surgical intervention, this is helpful but it is only considered if the medical therapies have been used for at least 6 months, with no improvement.
It involves removal/treatment of the damaged areas of the tendon

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Dr. Michelle Gibson James