How can lab reports of a pregnant women who is suffering from fever, cold and cough be interpreted?

Dr. Prasad

Posted on Mon, 27 Aug 2018 in Internal Doctor Category
Question: Please analyse the attached reports and advise.
Answered by Dr. Prasad 58 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please upload reports here...

Detailed Answer:

I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

I don't see reports attached to the query here. There is a report sent through another query which was answered by a gynecologist. I am not sure if you referred to the same here.

Nevertheless, I will insist to upload reports to this query using upload option. Further more may I know since when are you suffering with fever? Do you have increased urination/burning sensation while passing urine?

Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Prasad 2 minutes later
Uploaded the report again. File name is XXXX-0000.pdf.

These are separate tests. Please refer these.
Answered by Dr. Prasad 57 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Flu infection.

Detailed Answer:

I went through the reports with diligence. The reports are positive for 'Influenza A' Virus which is responsible for season flu (common flu). The tests is negative for the serious swine flu/bird flu type.

Besides it, she also has severe anemia (Hb - 8 along with low MCV, MCH and Hematocrit values). Low lymphocyte count is part of viral infection.

Besides these two, rest of test results are unremarkable.

Before I give my final opinion, I would like to know answers to my earlier questions. How long is she suffering with fever? And does she have the urinary complaints mentioned earlier?

Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Prasad 8 hours later
She had fever for last 3 days. No problem in urine.

Is her current medication mentioned in the query, appropriate.
Answered by Dr. Prasad 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
Medications are ok.

Detailed Answer:

Influenza is a viral infection and antibiotics don't work it. It is commonly treated symptomatically. Therefore use of Paracetamol (Crocin); cough syrup and antihistamine is appropriate. Specific antiviral drugs are used in limited cases and not necessary in her case.

Besides current infection, her anemia needs attention. If she is not on iron supplements, she needs to be started on it. If she is already on supplements, then you may discuss about Erythropoietin injections with her gynecologist.

Dr. Prasad, General & Family Physician