• question-icon

How can keratosis pilaris be treated?

Posted on Tue, 4 Jul 2017 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I am looking for answers for my skin. i know i have KP, but for the past 6 months I have been dealing with HORRIBLE ingrown hairs...which have left dark spots. I am currently doing laser hair removal treatments, and using glycolic acid (15%) nothing seems to be helping, the ingrown hair continue to pop up and once the bump is gone (usually takes from 1-4 weeks for that process) it leaves a dark spot. I have tried every kind of lotion and exfoliating scrub and have come up empty every time. Would appreciate any kind of help.
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Permanent laser hair removal therapy should be the way out

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. Keratosis pilaris (KP) is a common, autosomal dominant, genetic condition. Since the ingrown hairs scar the skin, the dark spots are likely to be left. Topical creams and lotions are currently the most commonly used treatment for keratosis pilaris, specifically those consisting of moisturizing or keratolytic treatments, including urea, lactic acid, glycolic acid, salicylic acid, vitamin D, or topical retinoids such as tretinoin. Corticosteroid creams can also be used as a treatment for KP. However, since you are already attempting laser hair removal (most effective) I do not suppose that you need anything else. However, you have to make sure that it is a permanent therapy wherein the hair follicles are removed/destroyed as well. You can however expect something like 70% of the hairs to be totally removed. The remaining hairs should be more fine, thin, and lighter in color. You would need to go for maintenance after 4-6 months as over time your body will develop new hair follicles and new hair growth will occur.

Let me know if I could help further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha