How can keratosis pilaris be treated?
Permanent laser hair removal therapy should be the way out
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.
I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. Keratosis pilaris (KP) is a common, autosomal dominant, genetic condition. Since the ingrown hairs scar the skin, the dark spots are likely to be left. Topical creams and lotions are currently the most commonly used treatment for keratosis pilaris, specifically those consisting of moisturizing or keratolytic treatments, including urea, lactic acid, glycolic acid, salicylic acid, vitamin D, or topical retinoids such as tretinoin. Corticosteroid creams can also be used as a treatment for KP. However, since you are already attempting laser hair removal (most effective) I do not suppose that you need anything else. However, you have to make sure that it is a permanent therapy wherein the hair follicles are removed/destroyed as well. You can however expect something like 70% of the hairs to be totally removed. The remaining hairs should be more fine, thin, and lighter in color. You would need to go for maintenance after 4-6 months as over time your body will develop new hair follicles and new hair growth will occur.
Let me know if I could help further.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Keratosis pilaris hiv
- Keratosis pilaris anabolic steroids
- Diet to treat candida keratosis pilaris
- Keratosis pilaris common in infants
- How i got rid of keratosis pilaris
- Clindamycin lotion for keratosis pilaris
- Effects on keratosis pilaris with prednisone
- Keratosis pilaris ratio ectosone
- Hashimotos keratosis pilaris
- Keratosis pilaris or heat rash
- Suggest treatment for severe loose motion
- Is there any cure for degenerative mucoid cyst associated with...
- Suggest treatment for chronic severe diarrhea and stomach pain
- Does Klonopin of a different brand cause any adverse reactions?
- What causes unusual sweating?
- Suggest treatment for joints pain in a person with IBS
- What are the side effects of Superglue injection?
- Suggest remedy for excessive dryness in mouth
- Is restarting of Casodex advisable after stopping it?
- Suggest treatment for severe constipation