How can itchy and runny nose be treated?

Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh

Posted on Mon, 10 Sep 2018 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: iTCHY AND RUNNY NOSE. SINUS PLUGGED
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 56 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Information

Detailed Answer:

You didn't indicate how long this has been going on or whether you have allergies that might be at play versus a viral infection.

So I'll give you general recommendations that can work for either:

1. Unless you also have a fever or a lot of aching pain, skip the Tylenol Severe Sinus and take individual medications.

You don't need the high dose of acetaminophen that is in that product, and if you don't need it, don't tax your liver with it.

Also, it contains a decongestant that isn't as effective as pseudoephedrine.

2. Use a nasal steroid such as Flonase. It's sold over the counter.

It will help decrease inflammation in the nose and sinuses. Takes a few days to really kick in -sometimes get some benefit sooner.

3. Use a sinus nasal rinse such as with a nettipot or ready made preparations like XXXXXXX Med or Simply Saline.

Don't use within an hour of the Flonase or it will just make the Flonase drip down into your stomach.

Nasal saline helps decongest and wash out allergens, bacteria and excess mucus.

4. Switch to a stronger decongestant - pseudoephedrine.

If you don't have health problems or medications that would contraindicate it such as high blood pressure.

It doesn't require a prescription but you do have to ask for it (it's kept behind the counter) and show an ID.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh, General & Family Physician