How can itchy and runny nose be treated?
You didn't indicate how long this has been going on or whether you have allergies that might be at play versus a viral infection.
So I'll give you general recommendations that can work for either:
1. Unless you also have a fever or a lot of aching pain, skip the Tylenol Severe Sinus and take individual medications.
You don't need the high dose of acetaminophen that is in that product, and if you don't need it, don't tax your liver with it.
Also, it contains a decongestant that isn't as effective as pseudoephedrine.
2. Use a nasal steroid such as Flonase. It's sold over the counter.
It will help decrease inflammation in the nose and sinuses. Takes a few days to really kick in -sometimes get some benefit sooner.
3. Use a sinus nasal rinse such as with a nettipot or ready made preparations like XXXXXXX Med or Simply Saline.
Don't use within an hour of the Flonase or it will just make the Flonase drip down into your stomach.
Nasal saline helps decongest and wash out allergens, bacteria and excess mucus.
4. Switch to a stronger decongestant - pseudoephedrine.
If you don't have health problems or medications that would contraindicate it such as high blood pressure.
It doesn't require a prescription but you do have to ask for it (it's kept behind the counter) and show an ID.
Hope I have answered your query.
Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh, General & Family Physician
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- How does one prevent runny nose and colds
- Spider bite runny nose itchy eyes
- Runny nose itchy feet face hands body
- Mouth ulcers itchy throat runny nose
- How to treat fever and severe cough with runny nose
- How are headaches and runny nose treated in children
- Itchy runny nose in one nostrel
- How to cure runny nose and throat pain
- Runny nose itchy eyes sneezing
- How to beat a runny nose overnight
- Suggest treatment for chronic hip/pelvic pain
- What causes coughing, sneezing, headaches and watery eyes?
- Suggest treatment for post nasal drainage and runny nose
- What causes foul body odor and overactive bladder while taking Trospium?
- What causes pain near the navel area?
- What causes joints pain with welts and teeth problems?
- Suggest remedy for drainage at back of throat and vomiting sensation
- Suggest treatment for pain under the clavicle
- Suggest medication for ADHD
- Suggest medication for bloating in a person with history of colitis