How can itching on the back and shoulders be treated?
Moisturizer and oral antihistamine.
You seem to have Xerosis i.e extreme dryness of skin. Xerosis can be very itchy.
Winters exacerbate the problem due to cold, dry weather conditions which further sucks the moisture out from already dry skin.
I suggest you to use either a 10-20% Urea or 10-12 % Ammonium lactate or Sodium PCA (pyrrolidone carboxylic acid) containing moisturizers.
As they are humectants and retain moisture in the skin thus providing symptomatic relief.
You may in addition take a oral antihistamine e.g tab Cetrizine once daily or Loratadine10mg (Claritin tab). Antihistamine would definitely help.
Hope I have answered your query.
Dr. Kakkar S., Dermatologist
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Back discoloration and itching between shoulder blades
- How is fibromyalgia and back pain treated
- Back itch between shoulder blades
- What causes itching on the thighs buttocks shoulders and back
- How are keloids on the chest and back treated
- How to treat back pain
- How to treat a mid back strain
- How is an open sore on the back treated
- How is lipoma on the lower back treated
- How to treat upper back pain