Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

183 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

How can intermittent claudication in the legs be treated?

Answered by
Dr. Eni

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :2015

Answered : 319 Questions

Posted on Mon, 28 May 2018 in Veins and Arteries
Question: My husband is having pain in the legs if he walks even just a few steps, A test done on both legs gave an answer of possible intermitent claudication. He is a smoker, but we plan to quit as soon as possible.
The vascular physician will be seeing him in the next week. A x-ray of the lungs gave a little conclusion of no heart problem. If he has the claudication, the immediate plan of action by the physician that attended him, was to keep his legs elevated and will probably prescribe some medication.
I would like your opinion on it. Can it be treated? Is there a procedure that will help him?
I"ll appreciate your opinion on this.
Thank you,

Please send report via e-mail at: YYYY@YYYY

I am not computer savy so please send your response through e-mail.
Thank you
Answered by Dr. Eni 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes it can be treated with drugs and surgery for the sever cases.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome in Health Care Magic.

The intermittent Claudation is a disease due to the blockage of the arterias because of atheriosclerosis (very common in smokers, diabetic persons and persons that have high Colesterol).

It need absolutely management, otherwise it can continue to grow till at the point where no more blood will flow due to the blocked arterias, or a participle from the atheriosclerisis can enter the blood streem and cause the blockage of another smaller arteria.

The managment consists of Drugs (Aspirin, Clopidogrel or Plavix and if necessary even a colesterol- lowerering drug) and of surgery. Surgery is necessary for those patient where the blockage has happened in a larger arteria. The vascular surgery will recommend first that you perform an angiography to check the flow of the blood in the arterias.
Prior is to do lab analysis such as: Glicemia and check of the lipids balance.

Till the visit of the surgeon it is recommended to take the prescripted drugs that will help with the blood flow.

I hope I answered your question, and if you have more questions, feel free to post them.
Dr. Eni

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on