How can intermittent claudication in the legs be treated?

Question
My husband is having pain in the legs if he walks even just a few steps, A test done on both legs gave an answer of possible intermitent claudication. He is a smoker, but we plan to quit as soon as possible.
The vascular physician will be seeing him in the next week. A x-ray of the lungs gave a little conclusion of no heart problem. If he has the claudication, the immediate plan of action by the physician that attended him, was to keep his legs elevated and will probably prescribe some medication.
I would like your opinion on it. Can it be treated? Is there a procedure that will help him?
I"ll appreciate your opinion on this.
Thank you,
XXXXXXX

Please send report via e-mail at: YYYY@YYYY

I am not computer savy so please send your response through e-mail.
Thank you
Mon, 28 May 2018 in Veins and Arteries

Answered by Dr. Eni 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes it can be treated with drugs and surgery for the sever cases.

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXXXX
Welcome in Health Care Magic.

The intermittent Claudation is a disease due to the blockage of the arterias because of atheriosclerosis (very common in smokers, diabetic persons and persons that have high Colesterol).

It need absolutely management, otherwise it can continue to grow till at the point where no more blood will flow due to the blocked arterias, or a participle from the atheriosclerisis can enter the blood streem and cause the blockage of another smaller arteria.

The managment consists of Drugs (Aspirin, Clopidogrel or Plavix and if necessary even a colesterol- lowerering drug) and of surgery. Surgery is necessary for those patient where the blockage has happened in a larger arteria. The vascular surgery will recommend first that you perform an angiography to check the flow of the blood in the arterias.
Prior is to do lab analysis such as: Glicemia and check of the lipids balance.

Till the visit of the surgeon it is recommended to take the prescripted drugs that will help with the blood flow.

I hope I answered your question, and if you have more questions, feel free to post them.
Dr. Eni