How can ingrown nails be treated despite taking Terrasil?

Dr. Eni

Posted on Thu, 2 Aug 2018 in Lump
Question: I THINK I have an ingrown nail in my big toe, its red, a little bit swollen (the swelling has NOT gotten worse, its stayed the same), ive been using terrasil on it for a week with no positive results, the skin around it is very tough, and it bleeds if i mess with it a little bit
Answered by Dr. Eni 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes, seems like an ingrown nail from the image that you attached.

Detailed Answer:
Hello Dear,

Thank You for posting to HealthcareMagic.

I checked the image that you have attached. You have an ingrown nail, which with the right treatment will go away very soon, so do not worry.

First, try to cure it yourself, keeping your foot for 15 minutes in warm water with soap, then cut the part of the nail that is pressing the skin. Trim gently avoiding to hurt yourself. In the end, you need to apply local antibiotic (actually, Terrasil is very rarely used, because it is antimycotic, and I wouldn't recommend it). After applying local creamy antibiotic (it's available mostly as OTC), consider also taking any medication to ease the pain such as Tylenol.

For the next days, you need to walk with sandals and do not wear pressure shoes if it doesn't relieve in 3-5 days, you need to check with a foot-care specialist which will perform a XXXXXXX surgery to remove the nail. This is recommended especially when the situation repeats itself. The procedure is done in the office under a local anesthetic.

Do not worry, ingrown nails are very common and they are treated and cured easily.

If you have other questions please feel free to post them.

Dr. Eni

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee