How can inflammation and itching near the vagina be treated despite using Vagisil?

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN

Posted on Tue, 9 Oct 2018 in Women's Health
Question: I have been experiencing itching in the vaginal area----up at the top on the labia around the clitoris. On looking at it, it appears to be red. I also have a slight burning in that area from time to time. This has been going on for several weeks. I have used vagisil for the itching several times and it relieves it temporarily, but it doesn't go away. I take daily tub baths (with soap only) and have been sexually active for over a year. What is something I should do?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 49 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Can be a vaginal fungal infection.

Detailed Answer:

Intense itching in the vagina is commonly encountered in two conditions.

One is The Candidiasis (yeast), this does present with intense itching and foul-smelling curdy discharge.

This condition can be easily treated with antifungals like Flucanazole.

The other possibility for such a problem is low estrogen levels leading to dryness in the vagina which stimulate the vaginal mucosa and cause itching.

Do get examined by a gynaecologist and ascertain the cause to get treated. Meanwhile, you can take an antihistaminic like Benadryl which will reduce the itching.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
I am already taking Estradiol 1mg daily, #1 so should my estrogen levels be ok? Also I don't experience vaginal dryness.
as for the Flucanazole, #2can it be bought over the counter---or do I need a prescription from a doc? I haven't noticed the discharge or odor---but I wear a pad all of the time in case of bladder leaks. So maybe I haven't been observant enough . Final question, #3does vagisil do anything to help this condition?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 6 hours later
Brief Answer:

Details below.

Detailed Answer:

Since you are already taking estradiol your estrogen levels should be alright.

Clotrimazole pessary can be bought over the counter. You can try it and see if it helps. Oral Fluconazole will need a prescription.

Vagisil is only an anti itch lotion. It will not cure the cause but will give a temporary relief.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr Rakhi Tayal, OBGYN
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T