• question-icon

How can impulsive behavior and lack of concentration be managed after discontinuing Vyvanse and resuming Sertraline and Quetiapine?

Posted on Wed, 20 Nov 2019 in Mental Health
Question: My teenager was taking 30 mg of vyvance now taking sertraline 50mg and quetiapine 50mg.
Her behavior she is very hyper and cannot control her hyperness, concentrate or focus in school.
What is the safest way to get her back on vyvance ?

Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 52 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Dose of Sertraline can be reduced gradually.

Detailed Answer:

Vyvanse is an amphetamine drug. The drug helps in maintaining focus and also helps to control impulsive behaviour. But the drug is a stimulant and is known to reduce sleep and causes insomnia. This is the probable reason they reduced the dose of Vyvanse and started with Sertraline and Quetiapine.

Now best way to put her back on Vyvanse is to explain her doctor about her persisting symptoms. For sleep Quetiapine can be continued and Vyvanse can be restarted. Quetiapine will take care of sleep. Dose of Sertraline can be reduced gradually over 2 weeks.

This should help you.

Thanks
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi

Psychiatrist