How can hives be treated despite taking Benedryl?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jan 2014
Jan 2014

Dermatologist
Question
I HAVE A BAD CASE OF HIVES AND THE ER ON THURS TOLD ME TO USE BENEDRYL WHICH IS WHAT THEY HAD IN AN IV FOR OVER AN HOUR. THAT CALMED ME DOWN IN THE ER BUT THE OTC STUFF ISN'T WORKING SO WELL. I DON'T NOW HOW MANY I SHOULD TAKE TO TREAT HIVES. EACH TABLET IS 25MG. THE ER DOC ALSO GAVE ME A TOPICAL CREAM CALLED MYSTATIN TO USE ON AFFECTED AREAS, WHICH IS PRETTY MUCH ALL OVER. i AM MISERABLE. SHOULD I GO BACK TO THE ER?
Sat, 2 Jun 2018 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Take cetrizine tab

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you.
I am Dr kakkar (Dermatologist and Venereologist). I have noted your concern.

For Hives I suggest you to take tab. Cetrizine 10mg, twice daily for a few days. Cetrizine tab. is available over the counter.

Topically you may use a soothing lotion e.g Calamine lotion to calm down the itch and rashes. Nystatin cream which you have been applying is an antifungal. It is not used for Hives.

Brief Answer:
Thank you for writing to us

Detailed Answer:
You are welcome.

Follow-up: How can hives be treated despite taking Benedryl? 2 hours later
Thank you very much. I’ll give it a try.