• question-icon

    How can hip pain after injury be treated?

Posted on Fri, 30 Jun 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Six months ago, I slid off my bed falling directly on my hip. Although there are no bruises on my skin, I felt bruising in my hip and it did hurt, but not as bad as I would imagine a broken hip but feel and within a week I was feeling back to normal. Since then about every month these symptoms have come back they are sharp pains located at the connection point between my femur bone and my hip bone it again after one week or so they go away,, but at this time the pain is so severe that I am practically bedridden I can't do my chores around the house, washing clothes cooking meals etc. I've tried to walk it off and it seems to just get worse. I'm wondering if I chipped a bone and it is somehow floating back into this area which which agitates it tremendously or maybe you could be scar tissue. I I asked the pain that sometimes goes straight down my knee and sometimes really to my feet. I also have a slight case of scoliosis. When I was young the doctors didn't think it was bad enough to treat. Please help!!
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome,

What you describe warrants imaging studies. First a plain Xray, and then possibly and MRI. There are a number of things that may be going on, and without imaging studies this would be hard to sort out.

It's possible that there was a fracture, a bone chip that was avulsed, torn ligaments, or inflammation of the bursa around the joint.

A regular (plain) xray will be able to show if there is damage to the bone. An MRI is very good for showing inflammation and abnormalities of the surrounding soft tissue. It's possible that a physical exam alone will show what is wrong but usually an X-ray is needed too.

It's time to go in and be diagnosed and then treatment will depend on what the problem is. Treatment can range from higher dose os NSAIDs, physical therapy, to surgery depending on what the problem is. But the only way to know is to have an exam and imaging.

I hope this information helps.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
Answered by
Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :1991

Answered : 3138 Questions


The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on

Recent questions on  Hip bone

doctor1 MD

I ve been experiencing this heavy feeling in my right side, between hip bone and rib cage. It seems to get worse at night. I also experience...

doctor1 MD

i have a sharp stabbing pain just above the hip bone in the front kinda off to the side if i bend in any direction or breath in deeply it doesn't...

doctor1 MD

I have a dull ache along the left rib cage and sometimes it occurs also further down on the left near my hip bone and sometimes also on the right...

doctor1 MD

i am 65 yrs old.been coughing a lot which i believe has resulted in a hernia type pain on my left middle abdomen area.do you have some thoughts on...

doctor1 MD

I am a 47 year old female and I have discoloration on my lower abdomen. It starts just above my pelvic bone and a line goes up on either side and...

doctor1 MD

hi im a 20 yr old female, i had a baby when i was 18 yr old and have no problems during pregnancy or after, when i was 16yr old i had a dermoid...

doctor1 MD

HI. I have been having pain on my left side where I would generally suspect an ovary to be. It is a constant ache all the time but sharper when...

Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties

136 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM Blog Questions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction
Questions Answered By Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh
  • Q - Suggest treatment for chronic hip/pelvic pain

  • Q - What causes coughing, sneezing, headaches and watery eyes?

  • Q - Suggest treatment for post nasal drainage and runny nose

  • Q - What causes foul body odor and overactive bladder while taking Trospium?

  • Q - What causes pain near the navel area?

  • Q - What causes joints pain with welts and teeth problems?

  • Q - Suggest remedy for drainage at back of throat and vomiting sensation

  • Q - Suggest treatment for pain under the clavicle

  • Q - Suggest medication for ADHD

  • Q - Suggest medication for bloating in a person with history of colitis