• question-icon

How can hip pain after injury be treated?

Posted on Fri, 30 Jun 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Six months ago, I slid off my bed falling directly on my hip. Although there are no bruises on my skin, I felt bruising in my hip and it did hurt, but not as bad as I would imagine a broken hip but feel and within a week I was feeling back to normal. Since then about every month these symptoms have come back they are sharp pains located at the connection point between my femur bone and my hip bone it again after one week or so they go away,, but at this time the pain is so severe that I am practically bedridden I can't do my chores around the house, washing clothes cooking meals etc. I've tried to walk it off and it seems to just get worse. I'm wondering if I chipped a bone and it is somehow floating back into this area which which agitates it tremendously or maybe you could be scar tissue. I I asked the pain that sometimes goes straight down my knee and sometimes really to my feet. I also have a slight case of scoliosis. When I was young the doctors didn't think it was bad enough to treat. Please help!!
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Information

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome,

What you describe warrants imaging studies. First a plain Xray, and then possibly and MRI. There are a number of things that may be going on, and without imaging studies this would be hard to sort out.

It's possible that there was a fracture, a bone chip that was avulsed, torn ligaments, or inflammation of the bursa around the joint.

A regular (plain) xray will be able to show if there is damage to the bone. An MRI is very good for showing inflammation and abnormalities of the surrounding soft tissue. It's possible that a physical exam alone will show what is wrong but usually an X-ray is needed too.

It's time to go in and be diagnosed and then treatment will depend on what the problem is. Treatment can range from higher dose os NSAIDs, physical therapy, to surgery depending on what the problem is. But the only way to know is to have an exam and imaging.

I hope this information helps.
Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh