• question-icon

How can hip arthritis be treated?

Posted on Mon, 24 Jul 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I had an x-ray at my annual physical with my family Dr. that showed mild arthritis in my right hip. I am a runner and run with custom made orthotics. My famiy Dr. referred me to an Orthopedic Dr. later this month. Surgery is not an option. I have done physcial therapy which greatly helps and am stilll able to run 3 to 4 miles 4 days a week. While I respond incredibly well to ibuprofen, I am looking for a supplement that might help me with my mild hip arthritis. What can you recommend that has had results. Also, would the elliptical be a better alternative than running?

Thank you,
XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Joint lubricant supplements can help.

Detailed Answer:
Mild pain killer and physiotherapy are the main treatment for mild arthroitis. In addition to regular exercise you can start with joint lubricant supplements like Glucosamine or Dycerin to retard the progression of arthritis. Taking calcium supplements will also help.
Elliptical will put an extra stress on the joint. If it does not add to the pain then you can gradually start with elliptical as it will help in toning up your muscles more. You can start with it after the pain subsides.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon