How can high BP and weakness be treated after discontinuing Amtas and Nebulong?

Dr. Vaishalee Punj

Posted on Sat, 10 Mar 2018 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: hello
my grandmother aged about 80yrs was diagnosed with pneumonia . she is a blood pressure patient .the problem is that she is recovering with the prescribed medicines but the oxygen level is below 90 and also heartbeat is very fast around 140bpm. bp shoots up any time in the day . doctor earlier prescribed amtas 10 and nebulong but swelling was seen in legs and hands we than stop giving both . now the problem is how to control heart rate and blood pressure and how to overcome weakness
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Weakness is due to low oxygen levels

Detailed Answer:
Hi

I have also seen the prescription.

Weakness is due to active infection, low oxygen levels and side effects of medicines.

During active lung infection, it is common to experience severe weakness. It is better that she takes as much rest as possible during this stressful time.
To increase oxygen levels, she should do beathing exercise every 1-2 hours. Breathing exercise can be anulom-vilom, pranayam, respiratory exerciser. This is the best way to increase oxygen levels in lung problems.
If oxygen levels go below 82%, she will require oxygen ventilation.

Betablocker like nebulong should not prescribed during lung infection as it can cause bronchoconstriction.

Swelling is a side effect of amtas. This side effect is harmless, and amtas should not be discontinued because of it.
Otherwise she is already on another antihypertensive Envas (enalapril). If its not controlling her BP, then another antihypertensive maybe added.

Increased heart rate can be due to infection. Ceftas and claribid are antibiotics .

Ocid is for acidity.

All other medicines are bronchodilators or respiratory medicines.

Elderly patients usually do not tolerate so many medicines well.

Hope it helps. Let me know if I can assist you further.
Dr Vaishalee
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Vaishalee Punj 23 minutes later
how to overcome weakness ? so that she recovers fast
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 22 hours later
Brief Answer:
She will recover best with deep breathing

Detailed Answer:
Hi again

The best way to combat weakness in her case is to expand lungs by deep breathing.
No medicine will be able to help her in this regard. The basic problem is low breathing because of lung damage.

The deep breathing must happen every 1-2 hrs. We don't want her lungs to have low capacity to breath.

Dr Vaishalee