Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
185 Doctors are Online

How can hemoglobin level be increased?

May 2013
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2006
Answered : 4909 Questions
My wife is pregnant, and now it is 8 weeks and 3 days old. Today we scanned for the first time and all the readings are with in the limit. We did the blood test Hemoglobin - 11.5%, Sugar with in limit, Thyroid in limit. BUT SHE IS A1 NEGATIVE and am A1 POSITIVE. Doctor suggested to have a special injection in 8th week, since the blood group may create issues. My doubts: 1. How to increase Hemoglobin level 2. What foods need to be taken to increase Hemoglobin 3. Doctor suggested to take another scan to conform the brain structure / function and doctor told its optional. Need your view in this whether we need to do this scan or not. 4. About the blood group issue, kindly explain about this. - (a) What will be the issue - (b) What precaution we need to take for this - (c) Will travel affect the pregnancy at this situation (Can she travel) - (d) What is that injection? will it really help to reduce the effect of blood group issue.
Posted Sat, 1 Feb 2014 in Pregnancy
Follow-up: How can hemoglobin level be increased? 6 days later
Kindly help me in this
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 8 hours later
Brief Answer: Rh negative pregnancy Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for the query. 1&2.Hemoglobin level of 11.5% can be taken as normal in pregnancy. Because hemodilution occurs in pregnancy and that can lead to physiological decrease in hemoglobin level. Iron rich foods to be taken during pregnancy. Like dark green vegetables, dried fruits, red meat, chicken liver, egg yolk, peas etc. Along with these iron supplements to be taken. 3. Yes, anomaly scan at around 11 weeks and TIFFA ( Targeted imaging for fetal anomalies ) scan at around 18 to 20 weeks are usually recommended. 4. A . If wife is having Rh negative blood group and husband is having Rh positive blood group, sometimes baby can get Rh positive blood group. In that case if fetal blood leak occurs into maternal circulation that can lead to development of antibodies and these may affect the baby. Actually the risk will be more in future pregnancies. This antibodies can affect the possible Rh positive baby in next pregnancy. B. If any bleeding episodes or fetomaternal blood mixing occurs during pregnancy, anti D immunoglobulins to be taken. C. She can travel by train or flight if needed. Avoid journeys by road. D . Injection contains anti D immunoglobulins. Some doctors will give this injection prophylactically. This helps in preventing harm due to unforseen fetomaternal blood mixing. So, you can take the injection with your doctor's advice. Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer followup queries. If you are satisfied with the answer, please give your review at the end of the discussion. Take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: How can hemoglobin level be increased? 15 hours later
Thanks Doctor, When we have to take the Anti D injection as per your view (Any way will get the doctors view also) Thanks.
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 18 hours later
Brief Answer: Usually at 28 weeks Detailed Answer: Hi, If there are no risk factors like antepartum hemorrhage, low lying placenta, bleeding episodes etc, she can take one anti D immunoglobulins injection at around 28 weeks. Take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor