How can head lice and nits in my daughter's scalp be removed?

Dr. Monika Dede

Infectious Diseases Specialist

Posted on Mon, 27 Mar 2017 in Infections
Question: my daughter and I have had a lice infestation for 3 months. I bag everything boil combs. wash everything in hot water. including all hangers and every piece of clothing we own. comb every day. finally got ovide Thursday and we still have larger eggs. should I use nix again today. I have spent 1000 dollars in the last 3 months. I wash pillows, pillowcases and sheets every day. sweep floor and mattress. what else could I not be doing. I am desperate now. we both have long hair and can't go to salon because of the lice. I am not going to cut it myself because I am no hairdresser. my apologies that I haven't used proper punctuation. I am too exhausted to worry about such things now. please help
YYYY@YYYY
Answered by Dr. Monika Dede 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Please see the detailed answer below.

Detailed Answer:
Hello! I have been through your question.
I read carefully the procedures that you have done to get off lice and I think these are the right things that you should do in this case.
But, related your concern I think this could be due to the resistance from this medication.
In truth, all pediculicide (lice-killing) products available today are susceptible to resistance.
Prescription insecticides can be toxic, and over-the-counter treatments may not work.
You should know that exist some natural remedies can get rid of lice, they're just not as well studied as commercial treatments.
Fortunately, there are many natural home treatments to get rid of head lice like apple vinegar, coconut oil, mayonnaise,onions, tea tree oil,or lemon juice etc.
I strongly suggest to use its and not to continue with Nix, and you comb hair section by section with a special comb to remove lice and nits.

I hope my answer helps you.
I wish you and your daughter a quick recovery.
Please be free to ask me again.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T