How can head lice and itching on the scalp be treated?

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician

Posted on Sat, 19 Aug 2017 in Child Health
Question: Hello,

My 1 year old son (13.5 months to be exact) has small lice on his head and he keeps scratching often. Its bit hard to notice but I have been able to pick one or two occasionally off his head.

Is there a medicine we should use to get rid of it or a specialized infant shampoo that we can try?

Please advise.
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 51 minutes later
Brief Answer:
A number of over the counter anti-lice shampoos for children are available

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. There are a number of over the counter anti-lice shampoos for children and you can feel free to try them. You can try 'Shop Licefreee! Gel And Shampoo Head Lice Treatment Kit'. This has to be followed by proper combing technique using an appropriate comb.

Let me know if I could help further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Diptanshu Das 13 minutes later
Hello Doctor,

Thanks for the answer.

Is this product available in India? Also is it safe to be used on an infant?

Thanks
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Other products are available in XXXXXXX

Detailed Answer:
Based on your IP I thought that you were located in the US. You need not go for the mentioned product if you are located in XXXXXXX There are a number of products available in XXXXXXX pharmacies and you can feel free to use any of them. 'Medilice anti lice cream wash' or 'Apollo Pharmacy Keto Care Anti-Lice Shampoo' can be used. These are safe to be used in children.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana