How can hard crusted mucus with blood clogging the nostrils be treated?

Question
I’ve been having bloody hard crusted mucus in my right nostril for 3 years. Why is this happening and what can I do to get rid of it? I have lived in 4 states in 3 years (Indiana, Louisiana, Tennessee, Arizona). I do pick my nose often (I’m wondering if I scratched my nostril with my nail). I’ve been homeless for 2 years living in shelters. I hope this gives enough detail.
Tue, 5 Jun 2018 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Steam inhalation should help

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on Healthcaremagic.

You are developing thick mucus which naturally gives you an urge to pick your nose. This possibly leads to minor cuts/trauma leading to minor bleeding. The thickened mucus mixed with the blood gives rise to blood stained crusted mucus.

You need to take steam inhalation as it will help in diluting the mucus. Also use saline nasal drops or spray. That should help.

Let me know if I could help further.

Follow-up: How can hard crusted mucus with blood clogging the nostrils be treated? 6 hours later
What will prevent it from ever happening again?

Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Not preventable. But can be dealt with the steps mentioned

Detailed Answer:
I do not suppose that you have prevent it if you stay in the same weather conditions.

Using saline nasal drops will greatly ease your condition.