question-icon

How can frequent sharp pain in the stomach along with gas be treated when diagnosed with Barrett's esophagus?

Posted on Fri, 25 Jan 2019
Question: I have recently been experiencing sharp pains in my stomach region which extends through my intestines, usually resulting in passing a small amount of gas. I have these pains about 1--12 times a day. This morning a couple of pains actually made me gasp. I do have Barretts Esophagus and have been taking Omeprazole for about 8 months now.
Answered by Dr. Suresh Heijebu (2 hours later)
Brief Answer:
Oral Esomeprazole will be very helpful.

Detailed Answer:

In the presence of Barrett's esophagus, the possibility of a coexisting gastro-esophageal reflux disease is very high.
I generally prescribe oral medications of Esomeprazole to my patients with such symptoms.

As BE is a premalignant condition, it's advisable to get a latest Upper Gastrointestinal endoscopy and a possible biopsy to determine further course of action.

Avoid fried and fatty food stuff. Please check with your physician if he shares my view and if he can prescribe these medications and tests to you.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr. Suresh Heijebu
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Suresh Heijebu