• question-icon

How can folliculitis in the head be treated?

Posted on Tue, 4 Jul 2017 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: hi doctor, I have this pimples in my head on both sides and back
Answered by Dr. Ornela Ademovi 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Folliculitis

Detailed Answer:

I understand your concern. It looks like folliculitis, an infection of the hair follicle (root). It is most probably cause by shaving your hair with a non sanitized razor. In such case, opting for a different hair cut technique would be the reasonable thing to do. Frequent shampooing is recommended.
If you have oily hair or dry scalp, it could also be cause be seborrheic dermatitis, which is causes the scalp pores to clog. Shampooing your hair with a gentle shampoo on a daily basis should help solve the problem.
Dairy products and certain foods are also known to cause pimples and zits on the scalp. Identifying the culprit by removing one food at a time from your diet is an effective and cheap way to figure it out.
If the pimples are itchy, it could be lice or a fungal infection, in which case lice shampoo or antifungal treatment is the way to go.
Lastly, stress and anxiety and scratching your head with unclean finger nails can also be a possible cause.
If none of these reasons apply in your case and the problem persists without relief, please see a dermatologist for further investigation.
I hope this helps.
Wishing you good health and all the best.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Ornela Ademovi 23 hours later
there is something that I can buy to put on, because is no going away, I have this for 10 days already
Answered by Dr. Ornela Ademovi 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
Antibiotic ointment

Detailed Answer:
You can get an over the counter antibiotic combination ointment containing Bacitracin and Polimyxin B, called Polysporin. Both antibiotics contained in this ointment cover a very large range of bacteria.
Shampoo and thoroughly dry your hair before applying the ointment on the affected area, twice per day.

I hope this helps. Please report back after using it for a few days.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Dr. Ornela Ademovi