question-icon

How Can Foaming That Regurgitates To The Throat Be Diagnosed And Treated?

Posted on Tue, 25 Jan 2022
Question: This question is for my husband. He has a foaming that is developing in his stomach that comes up to his throat causing this foam that he spits, gets choked on and is making him miserable. These attackes happen at least once a week and sometimes more. He is type 2 diabetic and takes a nightly shot of Tougeo (sp). He also had his gall bladder out several years ago, not sure if that matters. He has been dealing with this over a year. Had an endoscopy but nothing there. We have eliminated meds to see if that was an issue. Nothing seems to be the “trigger”. He is struggling. He takes Pepcid twice a day per his dr
Answered by Dr. Dr. Antoneta Zotaj (25 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
PH monitoring of the esophagus might be recommended to confirm diagnosis

Detailed Answer:

Hello

It seems very likely your husband is having gastroesophageal reflux disease or the so called GERD.
This is mostly suspected if the patient has content coming back from his stomach to his mouth. Endoscopy might notice redness of the esophagus but most of the time is not diagnostic for GERD. If clinically we suspect GERD but is not diagnosed or the patient is not responding to treatment then it is recommended to have PH monitoring with ambulatory esophageal reflux monitoring- this is the most accurate test to relate symptoms with GERD.
I would recommend you to talk with your doctor on the possibility of having this test as it is recommended for presumed GERD cases that are resistant to treatement with PPI (nexium). Your husband has been using nexium, which is a PPI. PPI are considered the most effective treatments for GERD. This test will confirm if the symptoms your husband has are related to GERD or not and will direct further steps in diagnosis and treatment.

I hope this is helpful and answers to your question but please feel free to let me know if i can assist you any further.

Kind regards,

Antoneta Zotaj, MD

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Dr. Dr. Antoneta Zotaj