• question-icon

How can fever, vomiting and stomach ache be treated?

Posted on Tue, 4 Jul 2017 in Child Health
Question: Hi,
Suffering from fever with vomiting tendency and stomach ache from the past five days...temperature goes up-to 105.
visited a pediatrician and suggested paracetamol 250. on every 6 hrs,ondemisefrone 4mg ..3rice daily and zinc 20mg daily for 14 days

but due to unavilability of zinc we replace the same with zincovite.

she is not taking any food ,not passing the stool and temp raising upto 105
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 43 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Likely to be due to viral gastritis

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. Your daughter seems to be suffering from an episode of viral gastritis. Her doctor is right in prescribing paracetamol, ondansetron and zinc supplement. Zinc preparations like Zn-20 or Zinconia should be widely available. Zincovit does not have an equivalent amount of zinc. However, unless she is passing loose stools I do not think that you need to give zinc supplements. Give her Lanzol Junior once daily before breakfast if she continues to have abdominal pain.

Please be patient. Such episodes usually last for a week or so. If it lasts for more than a week you would need to get her blood tested.

You

Let me know if I could help further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Diptanshu Das 6 hours later

Thanks for your response.

she is not passing stools for 3 days and temperature raise upto 105 on every 6 to 7 hrs.

today is the 7 th day . any advice related to food? She is not even taking ORS she vomits after giving the medicine also

We also tested for maleria and typhoid.

Pls advise.

XXXX
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 51 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Without proper fluid intake dehydration can occur

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing back. Adequate fluid intake is essential. Without that she would get dehydrated and would need to be hospitalised. This should not be ignored. Observe the urine frequency. If she does not pass urine at least 6 times in 24 hours she would need to be hospitalised for dehydration.

Keep food light and bland. No specific advice related to food at present.

If your child has fever with temperature more than 100°F, you need to give paracetamol (P-250, Crocin or Calpol) to it bring down. Also use tepid sponging. If paracetamol is not effective in bringing down the temperature, you need to use Meftal-P (mefenamic acid) which is more effective. The minimum gap between two doses of Crocin is 4-6 hours. The doses of Crocin and Meftal P are independent of each other.

If typhoid IgM was negative I would insist you to wait and observe for a couple of days but if it still does not subside she would require a thorough evaluation (Widal test can be negative before 7 days of fever even if it is due to typhoid).

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician