• question-icon

How can fever, stomach ache and loose stools in a child be treated?

Posted on Mon, 10 Jul 2017 in Child Health
Question: My kid 3 years 9 months, height 3' 2", weight 13 kg got fever and stomach ache on 21/6/17 night. Yesterday (22/6/17) morning he has motions also. we used paracetmol syrup and the fever was reduced. But the stomach ache is still there. And his stool is also greezy and little reddish. Using muout plus powder for last 3 months as per doctors advice for indigestion problem.
Please suggest a medication for him.
Answered by Dr. Deepak Patel 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Stomach infection

Detailed Answer:
hi, welcome to this forum. Can understand your concerns.

Symptoms of fever and stomach ache suggest that most probably your child is having stomach infection.

Since, loose motions has also started, there is no need to give muout plus powder because it is given for constipation and it will result in more loose motion problem in child at this moment.

Give ORS solution to the child so that dehydration does not occur. Continue paracetamol syrup for fever.

Since stools are greasy and little reddish, antibiotic needs to be given to child. In my opinion, antibiotic like ofloxacin should be given to child. According to weight of child, the dose is around 4 ml 3 times a day for 3 days.

If there is no improvement in 24 hours then child should be examined by a doctor.

I hope this will help you. Take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Deepak Patel 36 minutes later
Thanks Doctor, he is mainly suffering with stomach ache, so could you please suggest a medicine for that as well? Also currently giving paracetmol 2.5 ml for 4 times a day. Is that fine?
Answered by Dr. Deepak Patel 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Stomach infection

Detailed Answer:
hi, welcome once again.

Since, weight of the child is 13 kilogram, paracetamol syrup which contains 125 milligram in 5 ml solution, should be given as 6 ml 3 times a day for fever. For pain abdomen, you can give simethicone based medicine like cyclopam syrup 5 ml 3 times a day for 2 days.

If there is no improvement in 24 hours then get child examined by doctor. Take care.
Follow up: Dr. Deepak Patel 16 minutes later
Thanks Doctor for your suggestion.
Answered by Dr. Deepak Patel 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Welcome

Detailed Answer:
Welcome and take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Deepak Patel

Pediatrician