How can fever be treated despite being on Dolo and Maxtra?

Dr. Arun

Pediatrician, Pulmonology

Posted on Tue, 21 Aug 2018 in Child Health
Question: Hello doctor,
My son is 1 year and 2 months old he was suffering from viral from Wednesday night for which we visited doctor and he gave Dolo and maxtra. The fever has not repeated from day before yesterday but the appetite of my son has reduced a lot he is not eating anything and even the milk consumption has reduced. Please advise what should be done.
Answered by Dr. Arun 23 minutes later
Brief answer:

Will improve try multivitamin

Detailed Answer:

Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service. I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

I understand that your child is just recovering from a viral illness. If the fever is gone, don't worry.

The virus is now out of the system.
But it takes a few days for appetite to regain. I usually prescribe multivitamin like zincovit drops around one ml daily for a week to help in regaining appetite.

Also increase fruits and vegetables in the diet which are natural appetite stimulants.
Give him whatever he wants to eat except sweets and chocolates. Ensure he drinks water frequently.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Arun 9 hours later
Thank you doctor, just one more query my son still has cough with lot of phelgm because of which he even pukes at times for puking I am giving him vomikind. Please advise
Answered by Dr. Arun 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
That's ok

Detailed Answer:
Hi
That's fine.
You can continue vomikind.
It should settle soon. Continue other medicines as advised by your doctor. Cough may take a few more days to settle even after fever settles.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Arun 2 days later
Hello Doctor,
My son's cough is quite in control but he still vomits when given cerelac or something else to eat not always but once in a day. My doctor suggested to give him Ambroxol from sunday night and have been giving the same. If i give my son Vomikind then he doesn't vomit but if not given he does vomit. His apettite is still very less wherein he doesn't want's to eat anything and milk consumption is also still less.
Answered by Dr. Arun 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Will improve don't worry

Detailed Answer:
It may take a few days to improve his appetite. Don't worry. Just keep giving him foods in small quantities frequently. You can continue vomikind for a day or two.
Any viral gastritis should settle in a day or two.
No other treatment is required for now.
Continue medicines as If vomiting persists, consult your doctor again.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Arun 46 hours later
Thank you doctor my son's condition is better now. Just one last query what medication or supplement should be given to increase weight of my son as he is 14 months old and only 8.6 Kg without clothes
Answered by Dr. Arun 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Vitamin and iron

Detailed Answer:
I usually prescribe multivitamin and iron supplements at this age if weight is less than expected. You can try the same. Some common brands like zincovit and trifer should be available everywhere. Dose I usually recommend is one ml each once daily.
Give healthy regular home foods including pulses, ghee, butter, egg even non veg if it is OK.

Hope I have answered your query.