How can fever and excessive vomiting of food and bile by a 5-year-old be treated?

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician

Posted on Tue, 20 Nov 2018 in Child Health
Question: my 5 years old daughter has vomited 5 times since 2.5 hours,she passed out all the food she ate and has been vomiting water now!I gave her emeset syrup but in 30 mins only she vomited again,I have given her 100 ml ors I think she is having fever as well ,please guide immediately!
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
ORS is the mainstay of treatment

Detailed Answer:

Your daughter could be suffering from gastritis. You have done the right thing by giving her Emeset (Ondansetron). Even if she vomits again, you should try giving it, especially 15-30 mins before giving her anything to eat. In the meantime, you should give her ORS (oral re-hydration solution) as it is the mainstay of treatment. 100 ml of ORS would be inadequate. 10-20 ml per kg body weight is needed to be given in the first hour and the same is to be repeated over the next 6-8 hours. Replenishing the lost fluids and salts is the main thing. Give her paracetamol or acetaminophen if temperature is more than 100°F. Also give tepid sponging.

You do not need to get anxious. The above treatments should take care of the issue. The vomiting may continue for a couple of days. If the hydration is okay, you need not worry.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr. Diptanshu Das,
Pediatrician
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T