How can femoral fracture be treated?

Dr. Aashish Raghu

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 21 Mar 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I was 81 in
July 2015 when I fell on my concrete driveway
My femur was broken on my upper left leg but no hip joint injury. . Surgery placed a steel rod the length of my leg with screws at the knee and into the hip ball. I spent six weeks in recovery and rehab, then three weeks of twice weekly in in out patient theorop Ihave continued to work out at a local gym about twice a week often with trainer. Still have pain and require a cane. X-ray shows screw at hip protruding from rod. Why still pain?
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Fracture not united, broken nail or screw

Detailed Answer:
Hi there

Thanks for the query

It is important to find out if the fracture is uniting or united. Usually uniting fractures can cause pain. Sometimes complications like broken nail or screws can cause pain.

Usually if you aren't yet able to bear weight, the fracture hasn't united.

It would be helpful if you could upload your earliest and latest post operative xrays for a better understanding to the cause of your pain.

I hope I have answered your query.

I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Dr. Aashish Raghu

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Aashish Raghu 40 hours later
Follow up with surgeon apparently show bone healing or uniting but latest X-ray showed the screw at the hip end is protruding from rod. Looks like at least 1/4 inch or. Explanation was 'used a too long screw which may be irritating some tendon or muscle". Offered additional surgery to replace with proper length. Reluctant for this unless this is likely to resolve my problem!
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 0 minute later
Brief Answer:
Please upload Xray film

Detailed Answer:
This could be a Z deformity which can indicate failure of the implant.

Please do upload your Xray films for a better understanding for your further treatment.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Aashish Raghu 28 hours later
I don't have X-rays. I will have to see if I can get them from surgeon office.
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
that would be really helpful

Detailed Answer:
That would be very helpful. Thank you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D