How can fatty liver as indicated in an ultrasound report be treated?

Dr. Mirjeta Guni

Endocrinologist

Posted on Wed, 22 Aug 2018 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: Dr. Mirjeta Guni

Ultrasound came back with fatty liver indicated. Also possible kidney stones. I have not that kind of pain which kidney stones produces.
I assume the swollen abdomen comes from the fatty liver. What does it mean. How is it treated. Will not see doctor for2 more weeks .
Thanks
Answered by Dr. Mirjeta Guni 47 minutes later
Brief Answer:
it is a good news;

Detailed Answer:

Fatty liver is a common finding at this age, especially if Diabetes is there for many years.
There is no specific treatment for it unless the liver function tests are not altered.

Trying to maintain normal glucose levels would help to prevent further deterioration. Of course, a healthy diet and daily physical activity would be helpful too.

I do not think the swollen abdomen is due to fatty liver, but it is important that the ultrasound didn't detect any severe pathology manifested with the symptoms you reported. If possible, please upload/attach the complete ultrasound report for my review. You can simply upload it to the reports section of this web page.

Meanwhile, please follow the healthy diet and lifestyle modifications. Your physician will check for the liver function tests, lipid profile and modify the Diabetes treatment if at all needed.

Hope I have answered your query.

Take care,
Dr.Mirjeta

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee