How can fatigue and sleeplessness be managed when abnormal readings are a concern in a CBC report?

Dr. Suresh Heijebu

Posted on Tue, 13 Aug 2019 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: My wife 34 years was feeling fatigued off late. She was sleeping very few hours and not giving attention to her diet. Further she was doing swimming at 4pm & had to travel. We went to a doctor and doctor prescribed test. Please refer attached reports and tell us are they normal and is there anything to worry. In particular CBC report is concerning us. Please tell us what it means and what is causes & treatment. Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Suresh Heijebu 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Symptoms are likely due to vitamin D and Iron deficiency

Detailed Answer:
Hello Sir,

I can certainly understand your concern.

I have worked through your attached query and reports in detail.

The reports show severe vitamin D deficiency and iron deficiency anemia. This is responsible for easy fatiguability in your wife's case.

It's advisable to replenish vitamin D and iron levels at the earliest.

I generally prescribe oral medications of Cholecalciferol 60K once weekly and Iron supplements to my patients with such symptoms for 3 to 6 months.

Please check with your physician if s/he shares my view and if can prescribe these medications to you.

Post your further queries if any
Thank you

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Suresh Heijebu 8 hours later
Dear Doctor,
I have a set of questions. Request you to answer the same so my doubts are cleared.
Q1) There is a separate "vitamin d total" report later on in the pdf file & a CBC report which is the first page. Please confirm if you are interpreting the problem basis both these reports. Could you please see through both as we are worried what is the problem she has.
Q2) Are all the other reports besides these 2 reports clear.
Q3) Do we need to do any further investigations & if so what are they
Q4) After she begins Vitamin d & iron supplements is it necessary to redo the test & when.
Answered by Dr. Suresh Heijebu 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Rest of the reports are within normal limits

Detailed Answer:
Hello Sir

Yes indeed the results have been interpreted based on the total Vitamin D levels and CBC reports.

This is not a major issue. Vitamin D deficiency and Iron deficiency anemia ( low hemoglobin levels) are very common in women of reproductive age group.

Rest of the reports are within normal limits.

No further testing is required. Nothing to worry much.

Repeat testing fur vitamin D and hemoglobin levels should be tested after 3 months.

Post your further queries if any
Thank you

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy