Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

197 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

How can fatigue and narcolepsy be treated?

Answered by
Dr. Soujanya


Practicing since :2008

Answered : 607 Questions

Posted on Tue, 21 Aug 2018 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I don't know whether I'm reaching the right specialist, but I can't. Seem to stay awake. I fall asleep watching TV, reading, or on my IPad.Then I 'm awake until 3a.m. I know I'm old, but I seem to be sleeping away the time I have left. I have trouble walking, so can't get out much. I'm very dependent on my daughter-in-law for trips out of the house.Though she says if I ask, she'll take me, I'm very reluctant to ask.
Answered by Dr. Soujanya 44 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I feel that you are experiencing depressive symptoms

Detailed answer:

Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service.

I have gone through your problem in detail and can understand the painful feelings about your illness and your guilt feeling that you became burden to your daughter-in -law.

I just want to make you understand the fact that this is one of the important phase of life which is common for everyone of us.

It seems that you are feeling sad about your illness, and you are feeling guilty that you are depending on your daughter-in-law for your daily needs, so I would like to suggest you to start an antidepressant like MIRTAZAPINE to combat your depressive features.

If you feel that you are spending most of the time in sleep, you can start on ESCITALOPRAM, which is an effective antidepressant and does not cause much sedation. You can also combine with ETIZOLAM in the morning if you have any anxiety symptoms like palpitations, sweating, nervousness etc.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Soujanya 29 hours later
It have been prescribed Xanax and Zoloft for clinical depression while still living in the US. I lost 2 daughters-one to ovarian cancer and one to ovarian cancer and MS and my husband to pancreatic cancer. I then had trouble leaving the house.Becausethe house was too big for me to handle and the one + acres too large for mowing and snow clearing, my 5 remaining children convinced me I had to leave. That is why I moved to XXXXXXX 2 houses down from my youngest son. I now have many small health problems and depression. I feel I should be doing something worthwhile with the rest of my life yet my arthritis, neuropathy and a bad knee, along with dependence on others for transportation keep me from doing much.
Answered by Dr. Soujanya 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Be strong and confident, and fight for peace in life

I can say that life is the one, which can not be predictable at all, I'm still happy that you have understood this reality and have a thought to make it productive with all these health issues, this strong intention can make you strong from any such problems.

It was being said that you are taking xanax and zoloft, l would like to advise you can continue zoloft, but if possible try to switch from xanax to clonazepam or mirtazapine, as I hope which would be better for you.

You can discuss with your doctor regarding this, and follow accordingly.

Hope I have answered your query.

Take care
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on