• question-icon

How can facial acne in a child be treated?

Posted on Mon, 31 Jul 2017 in Child Health
Question: Hi my baby has facial baby acne what can I do?
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 53 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Further details needed. Please upload an image.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone through your query carefully and understand your concerns. The first thing I would need to ask is the age of your baby. The next thing I would need to do is to request you to upload an image of the affected areas. It will help me to evaluate the condition.

You could also apply some emollient like Calamine lotion or some moisturizer like aloe vera lotion.

I would await your response based on which I will guide you further. Let me know if I could help further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Diptanshu Das 5 hours later
Hi my baby is 3 months old. When he was born the paedratician said it's extra hormone of estrogen hence why he has spots but it's gone worse it's big and has pus inside and red
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Erythema toxicum.

Detailed Answer:
Let me assure you that for children upto 3 months of age it is normal to get rashes on the skin and that could indeed be due to hormonal excess. It is called erythema toxicum. It may look pus filled and have a red area surrounding. But unlike the name, it is absolutely harmless and needs no intervention and is not a cause for cocnern. Sometimes some white dots called milia can also be present along. They too are not a cause for concern and are caused due to deposition of dead cells under the skin.

They are not due to allergic cause or heat rashes. No intervention needed. You can however use some moisturizer like aloe vera lotion.

However, you can still upload an image and I will let you know accordingly.

Feel free to write back.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Diptanshu Das 6 hours later
Hi, I have provided some attachments. Please review them.
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 38 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Some antibiotic ointment can be applied

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing back. Yes, it is baby acne. It could also be erythema toxicum as described. You could apply some antibiotic ointment like neosporin or mupirocin topically. Otherwise nothing needs to be done. You need to be patient.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Diptanshu Das 10 hours later
Ok thank u doctor.- another thing he takes out too much milk like creamy thick milk and the old grandma saying is that they neck has dropped and hence the reflux problem. What can I do
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Exclusive breast feeding is recommended for children below 6 months of age.

Detailed Answer:
Let me emphasize on the fact that breast milk is the best possible milk for a baby and there can be no alternatives for the same. Most formula milks are cow milk based and hence difficult to digest. Moreover they make the child more prone to complications and infections. Mother's breast milk is produced on the demand of the baby. Hungrier the baby, more vigorous is the suck. More is the suck, more is the amount of breast milk produced. Giving formula automatically reduces the demand of the baby and thereby the production of breast milk. All you need to do is to switch back to exclusive breast feeding and the production will increase automatically. All you need to do is to monitor the urine output. If the frequency is more than 6 times in 24 hours, you would know that the amount of feeding is adequate.

You should burp the baby for at least 15-20 mins after each feed. All you need to do is to hold the baby head end elevated for this duration. Unless you do that reflux will occur. Thick milk will not cause reflux or a lax neck.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Diptanshu Das 1 hour later
Hi doctor I had tried to breast feed but it didn't really work as I had a lot of complications in delivery I was hospitalised and he's first feed was bottle as I wasn't well. Also being in hospital I wasn't okay so didn't have the energy. and when he sucks for breast milk he will do it and then just leave. The nurses tried with me if he sucks but he would let go hence why I don't breastfeed
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You can still try.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing back. I think that there is a problem with technique. The entire areola (the dark brown portion around nipple) needs to be put in the mouth of the baby. If the baby can latch properly, sucking will yield milk and I do not think that the baby has any reasons not to suck. The baby also needs to be hungry. If you quench its thirst using top feeds the baby will not suck. Anyway, let me know if I could help further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician