How can excessive rumination after a lot of criticism from someone be treated?

Dr. Ashok Kumar

Psychiatrist

Posted on Tue, 24 Apr 2018 in Mental Health
Question: Hello, this is not a medical question. I am seeing a new therapist and am hoping they can help me. I know we all have unwanted thoughts from time to time. I had someone say something to me about my body parts. He said he was trying to be funny and also apologized. I still can't get it out of my head. I don't think of it all the time. Do you have any suggestions as to how to get over this? Thank you very much.
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Enage yourself in one or other activity

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for using Health care magic.

I read your query and understand your concerns .

I am glad to know that you have taken the first step, to realize that there are unwanted thoughts which is essential to overcome such intrusive thoughts.

Now it is important to distract yourself from this pattern of thoughts by engaging into one or other activity.
It is important because excessive rumination about one or other thoughts likely to strengthen your distress.

Thirdly use the 'stop' technique. In this you need to say loudly STOP whenever there is initiation of chain of thoughts leading to unwanted thoughts.

I hope this answers you.
Feel free to write back to me if you have more questions.
Thanks and regards.