Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
120 Doctors are Online

How can excessive chalky white discharge alongwith itching and burning be cured?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 1995
Answered : 4036 Questions
I have a white chaulky discharge. It started just after my last period. Also, Lots of itching and Burning, with bumpy rash
Posted Fri, 13 Apr 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 27 minutes later

Thanks for the query.

Excessive Chalky white discharge along with itching and burning is considered to be abnormal and commonly seen in infection due to Candida(fungi).

The other possibilities could be bacterial infections and allergies to spermicides, vaginal hygiene products, detergents and fabric softeners.

Candidiasis is a most common opportunistic infection seen in females with:
1. Abuse of Antibiotics, steroids
2. In Diabetes Mellitus
3. On hormonal pills
4. Poor genital hygiene.

It would be better to get examined by a Gynecologist as it would require oral and vaginal anti fungal and antibiotics accordingly. Few investigations like Culture and sensitivity of the discharge and Blood sugar levels to rule out Diabetes(if neither investigated nor diagnosed) would be required.

Meanwhile you can follow these measures:
1) Regular wash of the genitals before and after the sexual contact would be helpful
2) Regularly change your undergarments atleast twice a day to prevent any secondary bacterial infections.

Hope this answers your query, In case of any doubts I am available for the follow ups.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: How can excessive chalky white discharge alongwith itching and burning be cured? 2 hours later
Is there any OTC Medications I can use, as I am currently UNinsured!! Is Sexual activity-OUT OF THE QUESTION?
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 12 minutes later

Good to hear from you again.

It is unfortunate to say that none of the medicines like oral antibiotics or antifungal come under OTC. You will need a prescription, which you can get only after an examination by a Gynecologist and none of the available Over the counter medications would be helpful in your case as the treatment depends on the diagnosis.

Sexual activity would not be recommended as it has the risk of spreading the infection to your partner and if has to be continued only with the consent of your partner.

Hope this answers your query.

Wish you a speedy recovery.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor