How can diverticulitis be treated despite being on Cipro and Flagyl?
Investigation is required
How was diverticulitis diagnosed? Was it a clinical diagnosis only or you did a CT-scan as well?
Most cases of diverticulitis resolve completely after 10 days of Ciprofloxacin 500mg bid and metronidazole 500mg tid.
If the symptoms recur (fever, diarrhea, pain) then a CT-scan is necessary to exclude the formation of an abscess or alternative diagnoses. Lab tests may provide additional help.
A complete blood count (to check for white blood cell count elevation) and C-reactive protein are useful tools to monitor disease activity.
A high CRP and high WBC count indicate ongoing infection and would require continuation of treatment and new assessment both clinical and radiological.
Hope I have answered your query.
Dr Panagiotis Zografakis, Internal Medicine Specialist
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Flagyl for diverticulitis dosing
- Why flagyl for diverticulitis
- Is nitrofurantoin as effective as flagyl for treating diverticulitis
- Natural treat diverticulitis symptoms
- How to control diverticulitis
- How serious is diverticulitis
- Clarithromycin to treat diverticulitis
- How to deal with diverticulitis
- Dosage of flagyl for diverticulitis
- Flagyl treatment for diverticulitis
- Suggest treatment for splenic cyst
- What causes dry throat?
- What causes itching in breast?
- What causes chest pain and heart burn?
- Suggest treatment for pain in heels
- Can i take Paxil along with Clonidine?
- Suggest ways to manage diabetes
- Does taking Plaquinel for lupus affect the memory?
- What does an enlarged lymph node on neck indicate?
- Is infection possible by touching a dead bird despite using a disinfectant?