How can disturbed deep sleep be treated?
The last week or so now I have been having this issue where I am waking up too early in the morning and not being able to go back to sleep. Usually I go to be around 12am and aim to wake up about 8/9am but lately I have been waking up at like 5/6am and not getting enough sleep. I just feel really tired because of it and I am getting these headaches too from it. What can I do to fix this should I maybe try going to bed earlier I don’t want to go on any medications?
As per the information provided by you, it is understood that you are waking up early in the morning and not able to go back to sleep.
I would like to know is there any disturbing thoughts that makes you wake up early?
Is there any recent stress that is predisposing? and any other symptoms like sad mood, lack of interest in work, easy fatiguability, loss of pleasure in the pleasurable activities?
Because early morning awakenings could be seen in depression.
If any of the above symptoms are associated with them, it is better to start on medication amitryptiline 10 mg in the night, which can take care of your sleep and even decreases your headache.
You can feel fresh in the morning and can go back to work.
But, nothing to worry, as you are not interested to take any medications, you can take this drug for at least 3-5 days and can stop at any time once your sleep gets better if you do not have any associated symptoms.
After 3 days or so, your sleep gets regularised and can stop it.
The other options that you can follow sleep hygiene techniques. That is
- Avoid coffee, tea or other beverages after 4 pm.
- Restrict bedroom only for sleep rather than office work.
- Follow regular timings.
- Have a cup of warm milk before going to bed.
- Avoid heavy exercise before sleep. you can always do moderate exercise.
Hope I have answered your query.
Dr Soujanya, Psychiatrist
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- How to treat snoring problem while sleeping
- Is somnapure effective at treating sleeping disturbances
- How to treat sleeping sickness
- How are labyrinthitis and sleep disorders treated
- How to treat a sleep apnea and related chest pain
- How to treat the major depression anxiety and sleep apnea
- How to get deep sleep in mental tension
- How to treat difficulty in breathing while sleeping
- What causes sleep disorders and how are they treated
- How to treat severe leg jerk during sleep
- What is Akineton used for in the treatment of schizophrenia?
- How long does Temazepam make you sleep?
- Suggest ways to manage sudden bouts of anger
- Suggest a herbal treatment to help insomnia
- How can constant feminine thoughts and cross dressing be managed in a...
- Is Anti-rabies vaccination is required even if no indication of bat bite...
- Suggest appropriate OTC medication for anxiety
- Is it good to resume Adderall after discontinuation for many years for...
- Can reducing Lorazepam dosage cause anxiety?
- What contraceptive pills are effective at preventing pregnancy?