How can difficulty in latching while breastfeeding be managed?

Dr. Arun

Pediatrician, Pulmonology

Posted on Mon, 9 Apr 2018 in Child Health
Question: hi doc, my baby is 11 days old and is not latching for breast feeding. i had a c sec . could you suggest a good latching technique. also my baby has a very deep sleep in the day and is very hard to wake up. even tickling in the foot and back of the ear does not work. how else can i wake her up and how can we change her routine so she sleeps in the night
Answered by Dr. Arun 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Latch the nipple and areola

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Proper latching involves attaching the baby mouth to both nipple and areola.
Make sure your baby's mouth covers full nipple, entire lower areola and almost half of upper areola ( Areola is the dark circle around nipple ).
The reason i am saying this is because under the areola milk ducts are present , which needs to be pressed upon by baby to get milk .
Just sucking at nipple alone will give only little milk and it is not proper latching.
Ensure calm environment and dark surrounding during feeding.
To make baby sleep more at night try warm bath late evening to stimulate sleep. Usually babies sleep more in the day , which may take many months for the cycle to change.
Wishing your baby good health.
Dr Arun

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana