How can depression and alcohol addiction be managed?

Dr. Ashok Kumar

Psychiatrist

Posted on Thu, 17 Aug 2017 in Mental Health
Question: Thanks for taking my question.
I am 71 y.o. male and have been fighting alcohol addiction for the past 6 years, although I have casually drank for 50 years. I have been to 35 day rehab twice and detox twice. I am under the care of a psychiatrist. He wants to start me on monthly injections of Vivitrol (naltraxone). I have a history of A. Fib and arthritis and major depression. I am on 150mg Pradaxa bid, 150 wellbutrin qd 40 mg prozac qd , atorvastin 40 mg qd, 80 mg sotolol bid, vit B-1 qd and occasionally .5mg bid clonazepam for anxiety if it occurs. Side affects concern me. What are your thoughts. My last full lab work as 2 months ago and were in normal limits. Right now I feel very sick because of binge drinking 3 days ago. My upper abdominal area is mildly uncomfortable.
I just cant stop the alcohol. I go to A.A. What are your thoughts on the monthly vivitrol. Thanks in advance Bon
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 37 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Vivitrol is excellent option

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXX,
Thanks for using Healthcaremagic.

I read your query and understand your concerns.

First of all I feel there is need for proton pump inhibitor on urgency basis. Alcohol is well established cause for gastritis and I feel upper abdominal discomfort indicates that you have developed gastritis due to binge drinking.

Secondly I feel your psychiatrist taking wise decision while opting for monthly injections of naltrexone. Naltrexone is well known agent to decrease the craving for alcohol and your inability to cut down on alcohol despite the adverse outcomes indicates that we need something which helps you in craving as well as reducing the positive effects of alcohol for which naltrexone is one of the greatest option.

I hope this answers you.
Feel free to write back to me if you have more questions.
Thanks and regards.