How can damage to the arteries be monitored when plaque calcifies?

Dr. Bhanu Partap

Cardiologist

Posted on Mon, 5 Mar 2018 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I had a complete blockage of the coronary artery a year ago. My E/F is now at 43% due to partial permanent damage in the left part of the chambers of the heart. Upon check up lately and due to short breath the cardiologist requested CT on the heart arteries as an alternative to catheter but regretfully the Calcium is too high and thus vision was not possible.
Is there any means to refuce calcium? I am not willing to go through catheter again unless a stent is really needed
Answered by Dr. Bhanu Partap 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please refer to the detailed answer below

Detailed Answer:
Hello Sir

After going through the medical details provided by you I understand your concern for your health and I would like to tell you that deposition of the plaque inside the arteries is a long standing process and when the plaque matures it's kinda calcified. That's why CT become inadequate to assess.

Am sorry to tell you but it's important that you have to go through or I would say you should go through a regular XXXXXXX so as to assess the extent of the disease properly and it should be done as early as possible to avoid any sort of damage to the muscles of the heart.

I hope this information will guide you properly.

Kind regards
Dr Bhanu partap
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj