How can cough, cold and excess phlegm in the throat be treated?

Dr. Deepak Patel

Pediatrician

Posted on Thu, 8 Jun 2017 in Child Health
Question: my 3 year old son is having cough and cold since last 4 days. Earlier the cough was with phlegm but not its almost dry cough. no fever so far.

please suggest what medicine should i give him if any. so far he has been only doing steam inhalation.

the options that i have available at home are salbutamol 100 mcg inhaler, levo salbutamol syrup, maxtra syrup.
Answered by Dr. Deepak Patel 43 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Give maxtra syrup

Detailed Answer:
hi, welcome to this forum, can understand your concerns.

cough and cold for 3 days with phlegm which has now settled suggest that your child is most probably having common cold.

since, the child is now having only dry cough so we need to give only cough syrup.

give maxtra syrup because it has phenylephrine and chlorpheniramine which helps in reducing cough. There is no need of nebulization are giving Levo salbutamol syrup.

avoid cold water, cold drink, ice cream and food from outside.

I hope this will help you. Wishing your child good health. Take care.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Deepak Patel 13 hours later
thank u for replying Dr XXXXXXX .. wanted to add that he has sore throat as well. and another querry, is it safe to give salbutamol 100 mcg inhaler to a 3 yr old anyway?
or should we always use syrups only
Answered by Dr. Deepak Patel 58 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes it's safe

Detailed Answer:
hi, welcome once again.

Salbutamol nebulization is given only when there is wheezing in chest, there is no use of giving it otherwise. It is safe to use in children. It's the first line drug used in wheezing for nebulization in children.

Sore throat can occur in common cold also. If there is fever then we suspect infection and antibiotic needs to be started if fever is present.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy