• question-icon

How can constipation in a child be treated?

Posted on Mon, 24 Jul 2017 in General Health
Question: Hi my granddaughter is 12 months old. She has not done potty since two days. We were travelling two days back and tomorrow also we will travel 24 hours journey. She passes urine normally. Sometimes she farts. Her activity is normal and abdomen is appears normal.. not hard
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kini 48 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Nothing to worry. Wait and watch

Detailed Answer:
Hello Dear. There is no problem. Its absolutely fine. Even if your grand daughter does not pass motion for 5 to 6 days nothing to worry, because in infants bowel habits will not be the same always. As far as the child is feeding well and passing urine normally nothing to worry. You can wait and watch. The child will pass stools.

Only if the child is crying excessively and distention of abdomen which may suggest hard impacted stools, you consult a doctor. The doctor may give a dulcolax pediatric suppository. It will help in passage of stools. If this condition is happening very often from time to time then a thyroid function test may be necessary to rule out hypothyroidism. For the time being nothing to worry. Wait and watch.

Hope i have answered your question. Feel free to contact me if you have any more questions. I ll be glad to help you.
All the best
With warm regards
Dr Sanjay Kini     

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Sanjay Kini