How can constipation and bleeding be treated while on pain medications post shoulder surgery?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
I had shoulder surgery 3months ago. A lot of pain pills caused a lot of constipation. I quit taking pain pills a month ago because of the problems with constipation that was brutal. But I’ve had the flu for a week and am now taking codeine cough syrup and it has me bound up again. When I’m constpated I am taking stool softeners and magnezime caltrare so I can have a BM. I eventually do but it is so hard. Lots of blood comes out and I’ve developed a severe pain in my lower right side. The blood usually stops within a day...then all of this repeats in 4 or 5 days when I go through this again. I have a dr. Appt. in a week but my question is do I need attention now vs waiting?

Lower left side...not right
Tue, 5 Jun 2018 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Mahaveer Patil 54 minutes later
Brief Answer:
NEEDS MEDICAL ATTENTION

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for posting the question.
I have gone through your medical history in detail.

Having blood in stools with pain, associated with hardened stools and constipation does require immediate medical attention.This may be due to simple haemorrhoids or Fissure-in-ano or both.

If neglected,this may lead to anemia,strictures and may aggravate the present problems.

You should consult a Surgeon right away,preferably a proctologist.Get stools checked along with proctoscopy/colonoscopy.

You also need to take stool softeners and pre/probiotics on regular basis until you have normal soft stools.

High fibre diet with plenty of salads,fruits and water should constitute a major portion of your diet.

Having persistent pain in the shoulder even after 2-3 months of undergoing a surgery is also a reason to be concerned and you should talk about this with your operating surgeon.

I hope the answer was useful.

Feel free to ask me any follow up queries that you may have.

Thank you.
Kind regards.