• question-icon

How can constipation along with severe vomiting be treated?

Posted on Fri, 7 Jul 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Good morning,
My son who is 4 has vomited 2 times in the last 4 days with no other symptoms. It doesn't seem like a regular stomach bug because he still has a appetite. He threw up Sunday morning around 3:00 am and again this morning around 6:00am. He is a very picky eater and doesn't have a very good diet. Could this be from constipation? He hasn't had a bowel movement in about 3 days.
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes very likely vomiting is due to constipation.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for choosing HealthcareMagic for your query.
Have gone through your details and i appreciate your concerns.
As per your query answers are-
Not enough fiber-rich fruits and vegetables or fluid in your child's diet may cause constipation.Persistent vomiting, fever, or congestion are caused by constipation.
Please answer if -
If you Kids is too heavy in processed foods and sweets, and too light in fiber (like whole grains, fruits, and vegetables).
Give him -
High-fiber fruit and vegetable to your baby or foods including apricots, sweet potatoes, pears, prunes, peaches, plums, beans, peas, broccoli or spinach. Banana, applesauce and carrots.
Adequate fluid intake — To help prevent stools from becoming dry and hard,His daily diet should include at least four to eight "servings" of water. "Servings" can include full glasses of milk, juice and other beverages.
Give him lots of curd and yoghurt(rich in good bacteria's called probiotic).
As of now give him 5ml of lactulose to provide immediate relief in constipation.
Once constipation is relieved vomiting would settle down by itself.

Simple mantra is if food is not moving out then there is no place for eaten food to be stored in intestines hence it would be vomited out.So as he would pass stools vomitings would stop.
Hope i was helpful.
Feel free to follow up.
Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist