• question-icon

How can constant pain after receiving a local anaesthetic be treated?

Posted on Thu, 27 Jul 2017 in Brain and Spine
Question: I had major surgery three years ago and the area where the anesthetic was injected (the groin on my right side) and caused pain ever since. My concern is that it goes to the kidneys. Should I worry? I have recently been diagnosed with severe arthritis in my lower back and have difficulty in walking. All since the beautiful, successful surgery to repair my aorta. Can I still have concerns after all this time?
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
There is no need to worry.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for posting your query.

I am Dr Sudhir Kumar, Neurologist, and I would try my best to help you.

I have noted your clinical details. Based on this, it seems to be a neuralgic pain. There would be minor injury to the local nerve, causing this pain, which may get referred to the kidney area. It should get better over time and there is no need to worry.

If the pain continues, an ultrasound scan of kidneys/abdomen can be done to exclude an unrelated disease, such as kidney stones.

I hope my answer helps. Please get back if you have any follow up queries or if you require any additional information.

Wishing you good health,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Click on this link to ask me a DIRECT QUERY: http://bit.ly/Dr-Sudhir-kumar
My BLOG: http://bestneurodoctor.blogspot.in

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Sudhir Kumar

Neurologist