How can constant crying and sleeplessness be treated in a newborn?

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician

Posted on Mon, 4 Jun 2018 in Child Health
Question: My baby is 40 days old. He was born in 36 weeks. His birth weight was 2 kg and current weight is 2.4 kg. His sleeping time was come down to 3 to 4 hours a day. He Hardly sleeps for.an hour during night. Most of.the time he cries bitterly. It's really difficult to console him. He cries while urinating and passing motion. I was told to give pedichloryl syrup of 1 ml for.sleeping. is it advisable to give the syrup on a daily basis during night.
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Pedicloryl is safe

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone through your query carefully. I understand that the child cries apparently excessively. Pedicloryl is safe and can be given daily if required but the underlying cause of crying needs to be identified and the precipitating factors need to be removed. It is possible that due to lack of proper burping the child is having colics.

A thorough clinical evaluation by the Pediatrician is therefore needed.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Diptanshu Das 2 days later
Thanks for your reply. Can you brief the reason for causing colic. I feed him prenatal formula of 40 ml for.every two hours since my secretion is low. He takes very minimal quantity of breast feed. Does this minimum quantity of breast feed create colic or because of.formula. Should I follow.proper diet. I'm sure that he burps after every feed.
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
Try to switch to exclusive breast feeding

Detailed Answer:
Babies often get colics especially when on formula feeds. In such a case switching back to breast milk should provide relief. You should burp the baby for at least 15-20 mins after each feed. All you need to do is to hold the baby head end elevated for this duration. The extra air taken causes distention and hence colics. Proper burping will ensure its escape and the milk will not regurgitate back from the stomach to the food pipe, thus providing relief. You can otherwise continue to give Coliaid when needed.

Let me emphasize on the fact that breast milk is the best possible milk for a baby and there can be no alternatives for the same. Most formula milks are cow milk based and hence difficult to digest. Moreover they make the child more prone to complications and infections. Mother's breast milk is produced on the demand of the baby. Hungrier the baby, more vigorous is the suck. More is the suck, more is the amount of breast milk produced. Giving formula automatically reduces the demand of the baby and thereby the production of breast milk. All you need to do is to switch back to exclusive breast feeding and the production will increase automatically. All you need to do is to monitor the urine output. If the frequency is more than 6 times in 24 hours, you would know that the amount of feeding is adequate. If the amount of passage of urine is less or if the child is lethargic you would need to take the child to a doctor without delay.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj