How can cold with watery eyes be treated?

Dr. Kathy Robinson

Posted on Thu, 26 Apr 2018 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Have a nasty heads cold
Along with it my Left eye starts tearing and builds up a mucus which got crusty overnight
No Pain
Answered by Dr. Kathy Robinson 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
warm compresses

Detailed Answer:
There is a duct that drains the tears you make into the back of your throat. it is called the nasolacrimal duct. It can get blocked when you have a head cold and then the tears come out instead of draining normally. Use warm compresses (not hot) on the area just below the eye and this may help open up the duct. Decongestants may also help. This will resolve when the cold is over.
Dr. Robinson
Follow up: Dr. Kathy Robinson 4 minutes later
Should I see an ophthalmologist?
My eye has gotten quite red and slightly swollen
Is this typical also?
Thanks
Answered by Dr. Kathy Robinson 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
yes see someone

Detailed Answer:
If it is red and swollen then you may have developed an infection from the inflammation and blockage. I think you could see a primary care doctor for this or an ophthalmologist. Go to whichever one you can get into the quickest.
Dr. Robinson