How can cold, runny nose, coughing and choking during nighttime be treated?

Pediatrician
Question
Hello doctor,
My son is 1 year old and is suffering from cold and mild cough. The nose is running in day time and is choked in the night time.
Please advise
Tue, 5 Jun 2018 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 52 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Viral infection, associated with an allergic component.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through the details and understand your concern. Most often such symptoms are due an allergic component. Treatment is supportive and usually comprises of antiallergic medication and mucolytic. The blocked nose is also due to the same cause. Giving Montair LC Kid (monteleukast + levocetirizine, prescription medicine) should help. Cetirizine is an over the counter alternative that can also be given instead. Some children are more prone to catching cold and recurrent episodes are seen. If your child is otherwise active and playful, I would not be concerned.

I hope that I could clear your doubts.

Feel free to write back.

Follow-up: How can cold, runny nose, coughing and choking during nighttime be treated? 2 days later
Hello Doctor,
I tried to nebulise him using levolin .31 which reliefed him yet not given the above medication. His cold is seeming to be in cotrolled now but now he has been going to motion 3-4 times a day as his 5 and 6 teeth are arriving. Do any medication required for the same. We are giving him formula 21 homeopathic medicine containing calcarea phos and ferrum phos. Please advise.
He also sleeps on stomach and has lot of saliva secretion from his mouth so one of the local doctor suggested to give albandazole solution which we gave two consecutive days 3 ml each day

Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
You can continue to give nebulisaition with Levolin

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the update. If neubisation with Levolin 0.31 relieves him, you should give it. Cannot comment about homeopathic medicines but you can possibly benefit from the medicines I had mentioned. Steam inhalation can help (an alternative to nebulisation).

You can give albendazole for deworming but I do not suppose that it has any relation to the sleeping prone (on stomach) or profuse salivation.

Follow-up: How can cold, runny nose, coughing and choking during nighttime be treated? 1 hour later
Is going motion 3-4 times a day and that to very dilute is ok

Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
ORS needs to be given

Detailed Answer:
Although passing stool 3-4 times can be acceptable, the amount of salts and fluids lost needs to be replaced and you need to give the child ORS (oral rehydration solution) to replenish the lost fluids and salts.