How can cold, cough and mild nasal congestion in an infant be treated?

Pediatrician
Question
Hello Doctor,

My 7 weeks old baby boy is having cold, cough and mild Nasal congestion. His mother had throat infection 4 days back and seems it passed from her to baby boy. What medicines we can give to baby for this? Sometime back, His paediatrician had given Mucolite drops and Paracetamol drops. What we should give him Now for quick recovery as he has to travel in 2 days.
Fri, 27 Apr 2018 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Can be given

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through the details and understand your concern. Most often such symptoms are due to viral infections which usually have an allergic component associated. Irrespective of treatment it usually spontaneously resolves in 5-7 days (unlikely to be ok in 2 days). Treatment is supportive and usually comprises of antiallergic medication and mucolytic. Mucolite Drops is therefore right to be given. You can also give Atarax Drops 0.3 ml thrice daily for the next few days. Give paracetamol only if there is a rise in temperature.

If your child is otherwise active and playful, I would not be concerned. If not, it would be a good idea to visit a doctor and to get the child evaluated.

I hope that I could clear your doubts.

Feel free to write back.