How can cold and cough be treated?

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician

Posted on Tue, 23 Oct 2018 in Child Health
Question: Hello doctor, My baby suffering from cold and cough since more than a week. We are giving medication for it but still its not reducing. Could you pleAse suggest me.
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 40 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Irrespective of treatment a viral infection takes about a week to resolve

Detailed Answer:

I have gone carefully through the details and understand your concern. Most often such symptoms are due to viral infections which usually have an allergic component associated.

Irrespective of treatment it usually spontaneously resolves in 5-7 days. Treatment is supportive and usually comprises of antiallergic medication and mucolytic.

This is independent of the immunity kicking in and simply helps in relieving the symptoms. Whether you need to wait therefore depends on the severity of the symptoms.

Irrespective of these medicines it is own immunity that helps in the resolution of the infection. Some children are more prone to catching a cold and recurrent episode are seen.

If your child is otherwise active and playful, I would not be concerned. If not, it would be a good idea to visit a doctor and to get the child evaluated.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr Diptanshu Das, Pediatrician
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng