How can chronic neck pain be treated?
Thanks for the query.
I would like to know a few things to suggest you rightly. These are very important for me.
1) May I know your age/gender?
2) When did you notice the lump for the first time?
3) Is the lump growing rapidly?
4) Did your neck pain start simultaneously along with the lump or before or after the appearance of the lump?
5) Do you have any difficulties in breathing while lying down?
6) Do you have any difficulties in swallowing the food?
7) Is there any movement of the lump during swallowing or after protruding your tongue out?
8) Are there any changes with your diet routine? I mean do you often feel hungry even after having your meals or you don't often feel to have any meals.
9) Do you have heat or cold intolerance?
10) May I know the investigations done till now?
11) May I know the duration of your back ache?
12) Did you suffer any injury to your back in the recent past?
13) Do you suffer from any other diagnosed medical conditions?
14) What did the doctor advice after examining you?
Enlarged thyroid gland or Goitre occurs due to excess production of thyroid hormone (Hyperthyroidism) or decrease production (Hypothyroidism). Do you have Iodine deficiency in your geographic area?
Another type of thyroid growth (sporadic goitre) is caused to due to consumption of goitre promoting foods like soybeans, rutabagas, cabbage, peaches, peanuts, and spinach. These foods interfere with the production of thyroid hormone by hindering the processing of iodides in the Thyroid gland.
The investigations usually done are:
1) Measurement of Thyroid hormones: TSH, T3, T4 are measured to differentiate between Hyperthyroidism and Hypothroidism. In Hyperthyroidism the TSH level will be lower , T3 and T4 levels will be higher than the recommended values and vice versa in Hypothyroidism.
2) Detection of Antibody levels: It is done to detect the circulating antibodies against the Thyroid tissue. Many autoimmune diseases like Grave's disease, Hashimoto's thyroiditis produces Hyperthyroidism.
3) Radioiodine uptake and Thyroid scanning: Uptake of Radioactive Iodine levels helps in differentiating and describing the structure of the Thyroid gland.
4) FNAC: Fine needle aspiration cytology is a procedure in which a small amount of fluid is aspirated and examined to differentiate between varieties of goitre and malignancies ( cancers).
5) Thyroid Ultrasound: Its a used in diagnosing the nodular Thyroid disease.
The size of the lump is large to cause such neck pain. The back pain may arise from other systemic causes.
For time being I suggest you the following:
1) Hot fomentation
3) Regular physical exercises.
If you wish to then you can scan and mail me your reports to YYYY@YYYY , SUB:ATTN Dr. Ashwin.
Anticipating for your reply.
Wish you good health.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Diagnosis of chronic neck pain
- Drugs/medication for chronic neck pain
- What is chronic neck pain with menopause
- Chronic neck pain from getting angry
- Chronic neck pain treatment options
- Who treats chronic neck pain
- How can chronic neck pain be treated
- Chronic neck pain causes
- Treatment and cure for chronic neck pain
- Symptoms of chronic neck pain