Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
141 Doctors are Online

How can chronic neck pain be treated?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 22 Questions
I have a isoechoic nodule left side thyroid, right near the carotid artery, i also have had my blood tests come back, with twice the recommended alk phos levels, and kidney levels are all out as well as liver, i have had chronic neck pain for at least 5 years, the pain radiates from my shoulders up to the base of my skull,and along the side of my neck to my ears, my neck has a golf ball sized ballish looking lump at the front, and i can pick it up and move it from side to side, i also have a problem with my low back, from the back of the ribs down to my hips, the skin hurts when it is touched. I just want the neck pain to stop. its getting unbearable.
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Ashwin Bhandari 6 hours later

Thanks for the query.

I would like to know a few things to suggest you rightly. These are very important for me.

1) May I know your age/gender?
2) When did you notice the lump for the first time?
3) Is the lump growing rapidly?
4) Did your neck pain start simultaneously along with the lump or before or after the appearance of the lump?
5) Do you have any difficulties in breathing while lying down?
6) Do you have any difficulties in swallowing the food?
7) Is there any movement of the lump during swallowing or after protruding your tongue out?
8) Are there any changes with your diet routine? I mean do you often feel hungry even after having your meals or you don't often feel to have any meals.
9) Do you have heat or cold intolerance?
10) May I know the investigations done till now?
11) May I know the duration of your back ache?
12) Did you suffer any injury to your back in the recent past?
13) Do you suffer from any other diagnosed medical conditions?
14) What did the doctor advice after examining you?

Enlarged thyroid gland or Goitre occurs due to excess production of thyroid hormone (Hyperthyroidism) or decrease production (Hypothyroidism). Do you have Iodine deficiency in your geographic area?

Another type of thyroid growth (sporadic goitre) is caused to due to consumption of goitre promoting foods like soybeans, rutabagas, cabbage, peaches, peanuts, and spinach. These foods interfere with the production of thyroid hormone by hindering the processing of iodides in the Thyroid gland.

The investigations usually done are:
1) Measurement of Thyroid hormones: TSH, T3, T4 are measured to differentiate between Hyperthyroidism and Hypothroidism. In Hyperthyroidism the TSH level will be lower , T3 and T4 levels will be higher than the recommended values and vice versa in Hypothyroidism.

2) Detection of Antibody levels: It is done to detect the circulating antibodies against the Thyroid tissue. Many autoimmune diseases like Grave's disease, Hashimoto's thyroiditis produces Hyperthyroidism.

3) Radioiodine uptake and Thyroid scanning: Uptake of Radioactive Iodine levels helps in differentiating and describing the structure of the Thyroid gland.

4) FNAC: Fine needle aspiration cytology is a procedure in which a small amount of fluid is aspirated and examined to differentiate between varieties of goitre and malignancies ( cancers).

5) Thyroid Ultrasound: Its a used in diagnosing the nodular Thyroid disease.

The size of the lump is large to cause such neck pain. The back pain may arise from other systemic causes.

For time being I suggest you the following:
1) Hot fomentation
2) Analgesics
3) Regular physical exercises.

If you wish to then you can scan and mail me your reports to YYYY@YYYY , SUB:ATTN Dr. Ashwin.

Anticipating for your reply.

Wish you good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor