How can chest cold with heaviness in the chest be treated?

Question
I think I have a chest cold. No fever, some coughing, heaviness in chest. Have been resting, taking liquids [orange juice, ginger ale, coffee]. What else should I be doing to feel better?
Mon, 4 Jun 2018 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Using anti histamines and antibiotics may be needed

Detailed Answer:
Hi! Welcome to Healthcaremagic. Thanks for sharing your concerns with us. We will try to help you in best way possible. First of all it's sad to know what you had been going through lately.

Based on the history you have shared, it can be acute attack of respiratory tract infection and may need a course of antibiotics like coamoxiclav or azithromycin.

Oral anti histamines like cetrizine or loratidine once daily may help OTC analgesics like acetaminophen or Ibuprofen with help with symptoms. steam inhalations and XXXXXXX warm saline water gargles will also help. wishing you speedy recovery.

Hope this has answered your query. if you have any more questions please feel free to ask. Regards

Follow-up: How can chest cold with heaviness in the chest be treated? 1 hour later
Do I assume that this respiratory infection is indeed bacterial and therefore the antibiotics would truly help??

I have not taken any Tylenol or Naproxen. How does that help? What do they do?
I feel awful and exhausted but I am technically not in pain, which would be why I would take the Naproxen.

Thank you.
XXXXXXX a.k.a dxxxxxx

Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Analgesics are anti inflammatory and help with infective symptoms

Detailed Answer:
Hi! Though it can be either viral or bacterial but if symptoms are severe, prohylaxictic antibiotics may be needed even before culture reports which are only true mean to isolate the causative bugs exceptive for few specific antigen tests in some kind of respiratory infections but are not routinenly done.

Anti histamines may help with symptoms of heaviness and stuffiness. Anti inflammatory drugs or analgesics like acetaminophen/ Tylenol or Ibuprofen help by reducing inflammation and help with other symptoms of cold like body aches, lethergy and heaviness and also speed up recovery. However steam inhalations and saline water gargles will help alot as well. Regards

Follow-up: How can chest cold with heaviness in the chest be treated? 19 hours later
Today my chest is sore if I cough. Would some naproxen help this? Still feel tired so I know my body is working hard to rid me of my infection.
Thanks for helping me
Happy New Year.

dxxxxxx

Brief Answer:
Neproxen can help with painand tiredness

Detailed Answer:
Hi! Thanks for the feedback. Yes neproxen can help with pain and lethargy buyt acetaminophen is more safer option for your stomach however anti histamines alongwith it will be more helpful. With such chest tightness, kindly get a chest X-ray and EKG done. Yes your body would be fighting but it's better get antibiotics help. Regards